Contact Dr. Lu for information about cancer treatments。聯繫盧博士，獲取有關癌症治療資訊。
Why Are the “Experts” So Silent About Immunity? 為什麼“專家”對免疫力如此沉默？
Contact Dr. Lu for information about cancer treatments。聯繫盧博士，獲取有關癌症治療資訊。
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Orthomolecular Medicine News Service, Jan 9, 2023
Why Are the “Experts” So Silent About Immunity?
Commentary by W. Gifford-Jones, MD
OMNS (Jan. 9, 2023) It seems like an eternity since COVID-19 struck and changed our lives. During that time, virus experts on television have relentlessly reported on the number of people infected and dying. They say face masks, social distancing and vaccination would save lives. But I’ve never heard one of these experts, usually medical professors, mention this vital fact: there are simple, safe, inexpensive, and natural remedies, to build up immunity and decrease the risk of developing viral diseases.
A good source for such reliable information is the International Society for Orthomolecular Medicine (ISOM). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWVHupIXOog The doses recommended by ISOM are conservative and science-based.
How often do Emergency Departments need to tell us it’s the obese, diabetics and cardiac patients that are filling their beds? Just walk through any North American food store and witness the epidemic of obesity. If people would only step on a scale, they would see the reason for their lack of immunity will cause health problems in the future.
So, what should TV experts be telling viewers about immunity? It’s not brain surgery. It means adding daily supplements of five essential nutrients to the diet. The first is vitamin C — it isn’t just a vitamin. It’s also a valuable anti-infective that can save lives. Linus Pauling’s research showed most North Americans have insufficient amounts of C. Some authorities claim we need only 90 milligrams daily. But ISOM reports we require at least 1,000 milligrams (mg) three times daily. One reason is, vitamin C is water soluble and some is lost during urination. Also, during stress or illness, vitamin C is depleted (oxidized) and must either be recycled in the body, or acquired fresh in the diet. To prevent a deficiency during illness, sometimes much higher doses of vitamin C must be taken continually throughout the day.
Vitamin C and vitamin D both empower the immune system, [1,2] which is especially important during COVID-19 illness. [3-6] ISOM recommends taking vitamin D3 starting with 125 mcg (5,000 IU) daily for two weeks, and then take 50 mcg (2,000 IU) daily. People living at high latitudes in the northern countries do not get enough sunlight to make adequate vitamin D in their skin during the winter, due to the angle of the sun’s rays through the atmosphere. And nowadays, they’re also drinking less milk. You also need magnesium 400 mg daily, zinc 20 mg daily, and selenium 100 mcg daily.
However, those vitamin D doses are conservative, and many experts, e.g. Michael Holick recommend higher doses.  The optimal “preferred” OH(25)D blood level is generally agreed to be 40-60 ng/ml, and the dose to produce that level is in the range of 5,000 – 10,000 IU/day for adults. Higher (bolus) doses are reasonable for the first 10-14 days to raise the blood level quickly.  Thus, my suggestion is for 20,000 IU daily for 2 weeks, and 5,000 IU daily thereafter. Large adults may need 10,000 IU daily to achieve a blood level of 60 ng/ml — but smaller adults can achieve the same 60 ng/ml level with a daily dose of 5,000 IU. These doses, along with the magnesium supplement and other vitamins and minerals are safe and will empower the immune system to prevent viral infections. To discern what dose you need to achieve a 40-60 ng/ml blood level, you can get a 25(OH)D blood test after taking a daily dose for 3 months. However, since most people are deficient, generally the blood test is unnecessary since it’s reasonable to proceed with a continual 5,000 – 10,000 IU daily dose, especially for individuals who have been in the hospital and are recovering. 
Why are these learned medical professor “pundits” so loath to pass this potential life-saving information along to millions of viewers? It’s a good question when proven facts show that they are effective in an appropriate dose.
A good example is vitamin C. During my interview with Dr. Linus Pauling years ago, he said, “It’s the dosage that’s important”. Several studies prove that high doses of intravenous vitamin C (IVC) are life-saving. As Dr. Frederick Klenner wrote, some doctors opposed to the use of large doses of vitamin C would rather let the patient die than prescribe it! [7,8] In a previous column I reported that IVC would save 95 percent of seriously ill COVID-19 patients. 
This past year a major Canadian national newspaper stated that there is no cure for polio. Yet, 300,000 mg of intravenous C has been shown to eliminate paralysis from polio. [8,10] That false statement is shocking, and has not been challenged by any newspaper or medical journal!
Nor is the frequent assertion challenged that high dose vitamin C is dangerous! But there’s not one credible medical source, that shows that high dose vitamin C has caused a single death. Some individuals with unusual conditions should avoid taking very high doses but they are rare.
The medical profession has not been helpful to the public on taking vitamins to prevent illness, nor have pharmaceutical companies, as vitamins being natural products cannot be patented. So, there’s no money to be made from a prescription!
I issue a plea to the media: Tell the truth. You enjoy a massive audience day after day. It’s therefore inexcusable that medical authorities hardly ever mention, to my knowledge, that these essential nutrients, widely available, can prevent serious illness. [1-14]
So, to the reader, here is a simple protocol of nutritional supplements. They will build up immunity, decrease hospital visits, and save lives. And they are available in any health food store.
(These are adult doses similar to those recommended by ISOM; reduce dose for children proportional to body weight):
Vitamin C: 3000 mg/d taken in divided doses. Take less if it causes a laxative effect. Take more when ill.
Vitamin D: 500 mcg/d (20,000 IU/d) for 2 weeks, then 125 mcg/d (5,000 IU/d) thereafter.
Magnesium: 400 mg/d in divided doses, in citrate, malate, or chloride form. Take less if it causes a laxative effect.
Zinc: 20 mg/d.
Selenium: 100 mcg/d, often contained in a multi-vitamin tablet.
1. Carr AC, Maggini S (2017) Vitamin C and Immune Function. Nutrients 9:1211. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29099763
2. Charoenngam N, Holick MF (2020) Immunologic Effects of Vitamin D on Human Health and Disease. Nutrients 12:2097. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32679784
3. Ghelani D, Alesi S, Mousa A (2021) Vitamin D and COVID-19: An Overview of Recent Evidence. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 22:10559. https://www.mdpi.com/1422-0067/22/19/10559
4. Bui L, Zhu Z, Hawkins S, et al. (2021) Vitamin D regulation of the immune system and its implications for COVID-19: A mini review. SAGE Open Med. 9:20503121211014073. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34046177
5. Grant WB (2021) Update on the beneficial effects of vitamin D for cancer, cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes and COVID-19. Orthomolecular Medince News Service. http://orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v17n21.shtml
6. Gröber U, Holick MF (2022) The coronavirus disease (COVID-19) – A supportive approach with selected micronutrient. Int J Vitam Nutr Res. 92:13-34. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33487035
7. Gifford-Jones W (2020) Medical Ignorance and the Mass Murder of Coronavirus Patients. Orthomolecular Medicine News Service. http://orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v16n51.shtml
8. Gifford-Jones W (2022) No Cure for Polio? Orthomolecular Medicine News Service. http://www.orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v18n29.shtml
9. Gifford-Jones W (2021) COVID-19 and the Two Types of Disease Experts. Orthomolecular Medicine News Service. http://www.orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v17n29.shtml
10. Klenner FR. The treatment of poliomyelitis and other virus diseases with vitamin C. Southern Medicine and Surgery, July, 1949, p 209. http://www.whale.to/v/c/klenner3.html
11. Holford P (2021) Twelve intervention trials conclude that vitamin C works for Covid: So why are hospitals being prohibited from using it? Orthomolecular Medicine News Service. http://orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v17n27.shtml
12. Passwater M (2021) Vitamin C Levels in Critically Ill Covid-19 Patients. Orthomolecular Medicine News Service. http://orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v17n17.shtml
13. Borsche L, Glauner B, von Mendel J (2021) COVID-19 Mortality Risk Correlates Inversely with Vitamin D3 Status, and a Mortality Rate Close to Zero Could Theoretically Be Achieved at 50 ng/mL 25(OH)D3: Results of a Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Nutrients 13:3596. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34684596
14. Gonzalez MJ (2020) Personalize Your COVID-19 Prevention: An Orthomolecular Protocol. Orthomolecular Medicine News Service. http://orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v16n31.shtml
Nutritional Medicine is Orthomolecular Medicine
Orthomolecular medicine uses safe, effective nutritional therapy to fight illness. For more information: http://www.orthomolecular.org
Find a Doctor
To locate an orthomolecular physician near you: http://orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v06n09.shtml
The peer-reviewed Orthomolecular Medicine News Service is a non-profit and non-commercial informational resource.