Saturday 08/28/2021 (jake.com, jakezex.com, healthabc.com) — Silicon dioxide in form of nanoparticles is toxic and it can potentially harm the liver, the kidney, the lung, and the testis, according to a recent animal study.
Environ Sci Pollut Res Int. 2015 Jan;22(2):1127-32. doi: 10.1007/s11356-014-3413-7. Epub 2014 Aug 13.
Titanium dioxide, a nanoparticle commonly used in the past in foods, dietary supplements and medicines has been gradually phased out due to its known toxicity.
Titanium dioxide is toxic largely because it is a nanoparticle which can enter cells freely and the rigidity of the particle can harm many cellular components including DNA, potentially causing mutations.
Silicon dioxide as a nanoparticle is similar to titanium dioxide so it makes sense that it has the same toxicity as titanium dioxide.
The current in vivo study conducted by Ramin Hassankhani from Islamic Azad University in Urmia, Iran finds silicon dioxide nano-particles with “diameters of 10-15 nm in size can cause significant changes in albumin, cholesterol, triglyceride, total protein, urea, HDL, and LDL as well as in alkaline phosphatase and aspartate aminotransferase activity.”
Silicon dioxide nano-particles of this size, which is very commonly used in foods, dietary supplements, and medicines, also cause damages to the liver, the kidney, the lung, and the male reproductive organ testis. (Dr. Lu)